January 8, 2021 by A.Asma
Olive oil for frying, an eternal question to answer
Is olive oil for frying or cooking? Have you ever tasted your crispy veggies fried in olive oil? What are the benefits of olive oil? Those questions are still spinning in my mind. Would you join us to learn more about olive oil, this new golden wonder?
The olive tree is among the oldest trees in the world. A blessed tree is often praised in many religions and cultures as the symbol of peace and wisdom. The history of this tree started 7000 years ago in the Eastern Mediterranean region. The culture of olive oil in Tunisia started with ancient Phoenicians. Today, the North African country is one of the world’s top producing countries. ‘’It’s our culture and savoir-faire, and part of our everyday life’’, says Dr. Sandra Laroussi, a Tunisian olive oil expert. Is cooking with olive oil healthy? Can you deep fry with it?
Nutritional values of olive oil
- Energy 3 .699 KJ (844kcal)
- Carbohydrates 0 g
- Fat 100 g
- Protein 0 g
- Vitamin E 14 mg
- Vitamin K 60 micro g
- Iron 0.56 mg
Composition of olive oil
- Oleic Acid 83%
- Linoleic acid 21%
- Palmitic acid 20%
Nutritional composition of extra virgin olive oil
Total fat 13 .5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.864 g
- Trans Fat
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1.421 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 9.85 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0 g
- Sugars 0 g
Oils to avoid while cooking :
- Sesame oil
- Rice bran oil
- Grape seed oil
- Sunflower oil
- Sunflower oil
- Cottonseed oil
- Corn oil
- Canola oil
- Soybean oil
Best oils to fry with
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Avocado oil
- Coconut oil
Olive oil for frying or cooking?
Green-gold olive oil has numerous benefits. Scroll down to learn more,
- Keeping a bottle of extra virgin olive oil reduces your ‘’bad cholesterol’’
- Its daily use decreases the risk of a heart attack
- Vitamin E is an antioxidant. It provides natural protection by preventing cell aging
- The tyrosol antioxidant is a natural medicine to fight diabetes
- Adding olive oil to your daily meal promotes weight loss
- Experts assume oleocanthal has a powerful ability to fight chronic inflammation
Key points about cooking or frying with olive oil you must know:
Smoke point: the temperature at which oil or fat begins to turn into smoke.
Oxidative stability: the oil resistance when reacting with oxygen.
Deep frying is a cooking method that consists of submerging food in hot oil at a temperature of 350_375 °F.
Are you still wondering about frying with olive oil? Keep reading, you will get amazed by what you will discover shortly. Fried foods were a popular habit until the early 19th century. With the growing popularity of the cast iron in America, these facts led to the invention of new modern fried dishes. Deep-fried food became an essential part of many international cuisines. With the increasing global demand for fast and fried food, people start questioningwhat's the healthiest type of oil for frying?
- ‘’In proper temperature conditions, without over-heating, olive oil is ideal for frying''. International Olive Council
- Extra virgin olive oil is extremely healthy in all types of cooking because of its high levels of antioxidants that will transfer into the cooked food during the process of cooking.
- A 2017 study has proved that using extra virgin olive oil is healthy in frying vegetables.
- The extra virgin olive oil’s smoke point: 410 degrees Fahrenheit. According to California Chef Dory Ford, '' I would never turn my deep fryer higher than 340 degrees Fahrenheit’’.
- Many studies have linked the monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats in this type of oil to good health and taste.
- According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European, Food Safety Authority recommends cooking with extra virgin olive oil to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- A review published in 2017 admits that frying with olive oil enhances the food's nutritional value.
- Unlike the common myths about frying with olive oil, Australian researchers claim extra virgin olive oil is the safest when used in high temperatures.
- In the Acta Scientific Nutritional Health journal, some scientists choose olive oil as the lesser harmful oil used in cooking.
- Food fried in olive oil is more suitable than other oils for weight control.
- EVOO shows significant resistance to oxidation in the frying
- Heating EVOO does not lead to the formation of trans fats since they only increase from 0.045% to 0.082%
Tips to fry with olive oil
‘Frying with olive oil is not only safe to cook with, but is beneficial.’’ The antioxidants protect the oil during the process of frying, the smoke point is suitable.